Harmann Kaur happens to be the stylist of most of the biggest celebrities of the South industry including the likes of Vijay Deverakonda, Rana Daggubati, Allu Arjun, Ram Pothineni, Kajal Agarwal, Rashmika Mandanna, Pranitha Subash, Sundeep Kishan, Lavanya Tripati and Allu Sirish. Harmann Kaur is an Indian fashion stylist/costumier, former News Presenter Talk show host and a trained pilot. Harmann has been working with actor Allu Arjun as his personal stylist since 2018. Harmann has also worked with IIFA Utsavam 2017 in project management and IIFA New York 2017 in sales. Speaking of styling the celebrities and her journey so far, Harmann got candid with Bollywood Hungama exclusively to speak about what goes behind styling some of the most dapper looks for our favourite celebrities.
1. Did you always want to be a stylist; how did you start out?
Not really, I always was inclined towards fashion but didn’t see myself making a full-time career out of fashion. I was training to be a commercial pilot but the forces of destiny had something else in store for me and it couldn’t have been better. I went on a lot of adventures to know where I belong.
2. Being one of the leading celebrity stylists, how has your journey been?
My journey has been relatively easier and smooth. I was fortunate to start it off as Mr. Allu Arjun’s personal stylist. I got a lot of exposure which really amplified my work. I didn’t shy away from working super hard to deliver the best output and by super hard I mean 26 hours a day for 8 days a week. Lol.
3. You’ve worked with some of the biggest, how was your experience?
It has been amazing. All the actors I work with are so humble, welcoming, and open to experiments and new ideas. They are not just great on-screen but also really great in person.
4. How do you ideate a look, say for an event, or a photoshoot?
Ans. I take the brief from the respective creative head/director, colour palette from the DOP and carefully keep in mind the preference of the actor. I then work on the boards to strike the best balance between the inputs.
5. What was it like working with celebrities for the first time? Did it take time to break the ice?
I have worked for IIFA awards before becoming a stylist, celebrities also are normal people in real like any of us. They have always been very friendly and warm with me. There wasn’t any difficulty in breaking the ice or building that rapport that I have. Also, I am a talker, an extrovert, and a social person. I like talking to people and making friends so I have never faced an issue per se.
6. With which celeb was breaking the ice easiest?
Allu Arjun Sir 🙂
7. What happens when a look doesn’t turn out like you had imagined it to? Do you usually have backups ready?
I will have at least 2 backups for one look always. I am known for always having backup options ready and in plenty. Be it an event, an editorial, movie, brand shoot.
8. Are the celebs always involved in the process or do they leave it to you?
They are always involved and I like to involve them because at the end of the day their personality has to reflect in some form or another. They have to be comfortable and clothes can contribute to someone being confident for that one event/scene/etc. I shortlist the clothes considering all the possibilities, briefs, and the actors’ personalities. (I make my selection based on all the factors first and share the options with them so they can shortlist out of those.)
9. What are the must-haves in a celebrity’s closet?
For Gents: Well fitted denim, well fitted black trousers, shoes, watches (Rest I go with my magic wand)
Ladies: Well fitted jeans, heels, a black dress, a white shirt, minimal accessories
10. A few fashion hacks that the celebs abide by?
– Get your outfits altered to your measurement. It makes a huge impact on your appearance.
– Wear the right lingerie: wearing the wrong lingerie can easily break your look. So always invest in good pieces that compliment your body type.
– Statement pieces!
– Go minimal with makeup: Don’t follow makeup trends that don’t suit you. Minimal makeup is always elegant and is a sublet way to enhance your beauty
– Know the theme of the event! Understand the theme of the event if you won’t get the ideal look. Make sure you’re not trying too hard to impress. With that being said, it is important to know that you should make an attempt to be unique, yourself, and maintain your looks without simply following the trends.
11. Describe the style of the following celebrities in 3 words- Allu Arjun, Vijay Deverakonda, Rana Daggubati, Kajal Agarwal, Rashmika Mandanna, Pranitha Subash, Ram Pothineni
Allu Arjun Sir: Edgy, minimal, cool
Vijay Deverakonda: Trendy, quirky, different
Rana Daggubati: Classic, comfortable, muted
Ram Pothineni: Less is more, simple yet fashion
Kajal Agarwal: Chic, chic, chic
Pranitha Subash: Chic, comfortable, experimental
12. 3 tips which can turn a fashion slob into a trendsetter
Makeup and hair, great fits that complement the body type, right accessories
Catch us for latest Bollywood News, New Bollywood Movies update, Box office collection, New Movies Release , Bollywood News Hindi, Entertainment News, Bollywood News Today & upcoming movies 2020 and stay updated with latest hindi movies only on Bollywood Hungama.